Japan Travel Advisor Headline Animator

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Funk Fujiyama!

So, I received an email the other day asking me about the Japanese song I use in the J-TAC podcast. It's called "FUNK FUJIYAMA", and it's by the popular 1980's Japanese funk/pop band Kome Kome Club. FUNK FUJIYAMA lampoons foreigners' stereotypes of and behavior in Japan. The chorus, which seems to be listing the most common Japanese words foreigners seem to know, illustrates this quite well:

Everybody samurai, sushi, geisha.
Beautiful Fujiyama, ha ha ha!
Konnichiwa, sayonara, kore ikura?
Beautiful Fujiyama, ha ha ha!

(*Note: Fujiyama = Mt. Fuji)

Somehow by the wonders of YouTube, I have managed to scrounge up the 80s-tastic music video to FUNK FUJIYAMA. Watch, be confused, and enjoy!



While we're on the subject of "beautiful Fujiyama", I have a confession to make: in all the three years I lived in Japan, I never went to Mt. Fuji. I always had an excuse, I always thought I would have time, but by the time I  realized I was headed home, I'd lost my chance. Well, that's not going to happen again. I'm trying to make it back to Japan this fall, and when I do, I'm going to conquer Fujiyama (ha ha ha)!

Now for the travel-agenty stuff:

Photo by Miurasat
If you're interested in climbing Mt. Fuji over the summer, consider booking a tour before you go. If you don't speak much Japanese, or you don't have anyone to go with you, it can be a little tough to do it on your own. There's actually a summer special Sunrise Tour called "Challenge! Mt. Fuji 2-Day Climbing Tour" going on for $360 (adults, kids are $348) where you get to climb Mt. Fuji and watch the sun rise from the top. Obviously, you'd be climbing at night, so I'd recommend this tour pretty soon after your arrival in Japan. Might as well take advantage of jet-lag, huh? Or, if you're planning to go clubbing or party late into the night, maybe it won't interfere with your schedule at all. If I were going back this summer, I would totally do it. I wonder if it extends into the fall...

Anyway, this tour is cool because you get to climb Mt. Fuji with two guides: a Japanese-speaking walking guide an English-speaking guide to translate and tell you all the relevant history. Your breakfast, dinner, shuttle bus, and sleeping place are covered in the cost of the tour. Be warned, though: there's no vegetarian option for the meals, so if you're vegetarian, you've got to bring your own food. It can be tough to be a vegetarian in Japan, but I'd recommend checking out the blog Tomodachi of a Vegan before you head out.

If you're not into hiking, check out the other Sunrise Tours. Personally, I like the historical ones, but there's something for everyone, and they range from half-day to 14-day, full-out packages. Here's a link to the Sunrise Tours Digital Brochure.

If you want to know more about rates and tickets, or get an estimate on how much it would cost you, shoot me an email: Lauren@japantravel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment